[vz-users] Problem with ir-kopf and y-port node

Bart Theeuwes bart.theeuwes at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 13:22:32 CET 2013

Hi all,

Sorry for this message in English. I can read german, but writing a message
is a little bit difficult, so hopefully you will forgiver me for that.

I have a Iskra ME161 Meter:
http://zon.wieggers.org/images/photoalbum/2/meter___close_up.jpg

In my first setup, I had a IR-schreib-lese kopf + FDTI 3v3 TTL Usb cable.
This worked perfect.

Now I bought a y-port mode because I wanted to have 3 additional S0 inputs.
So I removed the Fdti cable from the ir-kopf and a aplied a cable with
RJ10/4 connector.
I reconfigured ethersex so it uses 300 bps and 7E1 on the second uart port
(default).

autoconf.h:
#define YPORT_BAUDRATE (300)

core/usart.h
/* set mode: 7 bits, 1 stop, even parity, asynchronous usart 7e1 */ \
/* and set URSEL, if present, */ \
usart(UCSR,C) = _BV(usart(UCSZ,1)) | _BV(usart(UPM,1)) | _BV_URSEL; \

To test the connection, I used netcat:

echo -e -n "\x2f\x3f\x21\x0a\x0d" | nc 192.168.178.5 7970 -q 10 -v

(similar command piped to the usb uart works perfect), but it seems that
the meter does not respond to the y-port node.

To test the y-port node, I connected the usb ttl cable to the y-port node.
This works perfect!

When I connect the ir kopf again to the y-port node, and do a transmit, I
see the ir led light up when I observe it with a digital camera.

desperately , I connected again the IR kopf to the usb ttl uart cable, but
then everything is ok, so the meter is still enabled to send data?

Does anybody has a clue what could be the problem?

btw: on the first port of the uart node (on the 10p extension connector), I
connected a cable to evaluate the debug messages, but there is a lot of
'garbage'. I allready reconfigured to transmit at 9600 instead of 11500,
but this did not help.

ethersex config:
http://pastebin.com/s5a9gGxr

Bart