[vz-users] [Volkszaehler-users] new list: vz-users

Harald Koenig koenig at tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de
Fri Jul 1 10:06:20 CEST 2011

On Jul 01, Justin Otherguy wrote:

> I'm not convinced, a forum would be better.
                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 		     nope;)

> What do the others think? If I may kindly ask: please no verbose
> discussions (at the moment at least) on this subject; I'll create one
> once I see there is a number of users who'd prefer one (a few
> users who write many words is not the quite the same (c; )

just 2 cents: offerning both mailing list and forum will split up
discussion and information into two paths, so users have to (should;)
look up both places for good information to reduce duplication of efforts
(I know no user nor developer will do so;).

no start/need of discussion, just my points against forum to think about (and make a better implementation;) -- feel free to ignore them...

- does not work offline (my local mailing list archive does)
- searching options much worse than ful text/regexp search in local archive
- forced GUI by the 'web designer', different for every forum, not whatever a user would like to choice (feel free to insert vi/emacs/mutt/pine/thunderbird/kmail/... -- but *you* have the choice for mails!)
  the idea of "the web/forum desginer knows the best GUI/API for me/eveyrone" is broken by desgin since demands for GUIs are so individual and different, they depend on both hardware, wetware, local software/network infrastructure...
- typically no good long term archive (and no local archives/copies).
  quite often google gives links to forum entries which do not work anymore.  IMHO unaceptable...

t4u (type4you;) in mailing lists...

Harald
--
"I hope to die                                      ___       _____
before I *have* to use Microsoft Word.",           0--,|    /OOOOOOO\