[vz-dev] temperature sensor - continued (where does the id come from?)

Justin Otherguy justin at justinotherguy.org
Tue Dec 28 23:20:36 CET 2010

Hi,

we've been discussing the question "where would the temp. sensor get its uuid from?" recently.
If I understood that correctly, the 1-wire sensors already have unique identifiers with a length of 64 bit; why don't we use that id as part of the uuid for the sensor? We could, e.g., add a menu entry in ethersex that allows to set the remaining 16 bytes that would serve as a board-specific prefix to that id.
So, there would only be one "uuid prefix" have to be set for every controller. The remaining bits would be those of the sensor.

Regards, J.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1-Wire#Use_of_the_bus: "Each device on the bus has a unique 64-bit serial number."